Living in the UK

 
Wednesday, 16 June 2011

Have you ever wonder what is life outside Malaysia? Going into 2nd week in the UK I realise how good is UK to work and live in compared to Malaysia. Yeah it is cold, might not have that much food like what we used to enjoy back in Malaysia, but the life here is so easy that you people from KL can never imagine.

A typical fresh graduate in Malaysia will at most, and in super rare occasions, get about RM3000 salary per month. Is that enough? Many struggles to even live, not to mention if they can really afford cars and houses. In the UK, fresh graduate earn an average of £1700 per month, that is about RM8500. You might say that the living expenses here is way way higher than Malaysia. Well, guess what, that's not so true.

£200 is more than enough to feed one person, alot more than enough indeed. The market I used to go, Sainsbury's has a meal plan to feed your whole family, for £50 per week, that is £200 for one family for one month, 3 meals a day. The plans include shopping lists, menu and recipes (don't expect steak and seafood of course). The whole point is, a fresh graduate here in the UK can easily feed one or two families without difficulties, while the same person might suffer to survive in Malaysia.

Lets compare:

You can get a T shirt in the UK, cheapest at £2 at Primark, famous chain clothing store.
A low quality T shirt cost about RM10 in Malaysia's pasar malam.

If you cook your own food, I would say it will be 0-20% more expensive here in the UK, depending on what you cook. However, chain outlets outside such as subway, starbucks cost just as much, or lower than what we see back in Malaysia (Restaurant here are pretty expensive though, if you do not consider how much the people here earn). Anyway, £3 - £5 is more than enough for a really decent meal here (eating out).

One of the meals (actually the only meal I ate outside), Kebab. Theres fried chicken, mutton and chicken kebab, fries and salad in there, cost only £2.50.

  
A cup of latte in Starbucks cost £2.30 in the UK, which is cheaper than Malaysia after conversion. However, people here don't really fancy Starbucks, any cafe's coffee is as good as theirs.

Accomodation however is uncomparable. Hotels and rentals are really expensive here in the UK, again, if you earn British pound here, you wouldn't give  a damn anyway (because everything is cheap to you if you earn here). Same case to transportation.

What a dream place to live in eh? I actually enjoy the weather here alot more than the sunny and hot weather back in Malaysia, if only my dear is with me here, I would've wish that I can live here forever. Who knows, maybe I can have such a chance in the future. I recall once my father told me, if I have any chance to work overseas, especially western countries e.g. UK, I can then pick my parents over and enjoy life. What a nice dream.

P/S: To Malaysians working in the UK, I envy you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment